Hampta pass is a beautiful trek in the Kullu district of the Indian state of Himachal Pradesh. The trek to Hampta pass is a memorable one. Hampta Pass stands at an altitude of 4270meters (14040feet) above sea level and lies on Pir Panjal Range of the mighty and majestic Himalayas. The view from the top of Hampta Pass is mesmerizing. The trek to the top of the Hampta Pass is full of lush green landscapes, meadows, green grasslands, enchanting farmlands, snow-clad mountains, captivating water streams and loaded with the scenic beauty of the place. The special thing about the trek is that it is open all year. And the most exciting part of the trek is ChandraTal lake that has crystal clear water.
Hampta Pass is like a small but serene pass which is located in the Indian state of Himachal Pradesh. This place is like a window to the Lahaul Chandra valley and Kullu valley and lies at an altitude of 4,270 meters above sea level in the Pir Panjal range in the mighty Himalayas. The Trek to Hampta Pass is a delight. This place is an ideal destination for mountaineers, bird watchers and adventure seekers. First-time trekkers and trekkers who have no Himalayan trekking experience must not do this trek. The Hampta Pass trek is moderately challenging in stages. The total distance of the trek (both sides) is 35 km which can be covered in 4 days (depends on your walking speed in the mountains). The path to the top is tricky and twisted, that is why first- time trekkers must not do this trek. If you do not have any prior trekking experience, you might get into trouble. Because as you keep walking on the trail, the path gets difficult due to weather conditions. If you are physically and medically fit and can walk 8 to 10 km in the plains in a single day, you can undertake this trek.
The trek starts from Manali and goes through Jobra which is a beautiful campsite. On the entire journey, you will be passing through lush green valleys, mixed forest of spruce, pine, oak, rhododendrons, and maple. You will also get to see a variety of alpine flowers depending on the season. You will get a golden chance to witness some shepherds with sheep and goats and gaddi kothis ( small ground of cattle grazing). Once you reach the top of the Hampta Pass you will get to see the close views of Deo Tibba, Indrasan, and other popular peaks that will give you an immense feeling of being very close to nature.
Highlights of the Hampta Pass Trek:
- A perfect place for bird watchers, mountain lovers and photographers
- An opportunity to camp near the picturesque, alpine high altitude lake.
- Captivating views of Lahaul (Desert) and Kullu valley (greenery)
- A golden chance to witness the beauty of crossing rivers, dense forests, and beautiful bridges.
- Great views of the Pir Panjal Range.
- A chance to explore nearby villages like Kheerganga, Kasol, Barshaini, Manali, etc.
Best time to visit-
If you plan to do the Hampta Pass trek, the best time to visit it is from mid June to October, when the temperature ranges from 12℃ to 20℃.
Region: Indian state of Himachal Pradesh
Total distance: 26km
Duration: 4-5 Days
Grade: Easy to Moderate
Nearest Airport- Bhuntar Airport
Nearest Railway Station- Joginder Nagar Railway Station
For an avid trekker, the grade level of the Hampta Pass trek is easy to moderate. Buf for an ordinary person who has not done any trek before, this trek may seem slightly difficult. If you are physically and medically fit, you can undertake this trek without any worries. Though the trek does not require any prior trekking experience, you need to keep precautions to avoid several kinds of injuries like ankle twisting. People who are suffering from Asthma and heart-related problems must not undertake this trek.
How to reach
The starting point of the Hampta Pass trek is Manali (Rambagh Circle). There are various ways to reach Manali.
By Road: Manali is well connected to cities like Delhi and Chandigarh, which are connected by all the other major cities of India. You need to take a bus from Delhi or Chandigarh to reach Manali.
By Rail: Joginder Nagar railway station is the nearest railway station to Manali. The railway station is 166km. From there you can opt for a bus or hire a cab to reach Manali.
By Air: Bhuntar airport is the nearest airport to Manali, which is located at a distance of 52km. From the railway station, you can take a cab to reach Manali.
Best time to visit
For a trekker, any time of the year is the best time to do this trek. But for an ordinary person, the ideal time to do Hampta Pass trek is from June to October and March to April. The weather is pleasant and quite welcoming at this time of the year.
Things to carry
- Comfortable trekking pants and T-shirts
- Thermal inner pants and Thermal inner wears
- Fleece jacket and Down jacket
- Waterproof windbreaker
- Waterproof gloves and Pair of woolen socks
- Warm hat and Sun cap
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Portable charger and Power bank
- Camera and extra batteries
- A small bottle of shampoo, Facial mist, and Moisturizer
- Toothpaste and toothbrush
- Lip balm and wipes
- Sleeping bag and tent
- Trekking shoes and trekking pole
- Headlight with extra batteries
- First aid box with all the necessary medicines
- Toilet paper
- Cash- Cash is always necessary to carry as you may not find any Atm machines nearby
- Carry minimum weight like a pro
- Do not litter here and there. Keep the surroundings green, clean and neat.
- Be a responsible trekker. Take care of your valuables.
- Do not carry pieces of expensive jewelry and gadgets
- Do not harm animals and plants
- Do not make fun of the locals. Show respect to their culture, traditions and lifestyle.
- First aid box with necessary medicines is very important to carry along.
- Always keep a bottle of water and some eatery supplements.
- If you are trekking in a group, do not wander off on your own. Follow the instructions of your group leader.